Friday, June 29, 2012

Tomatoes and String Quartets

“A world without tomatoes is like a string quartet without violins.”
-Laurie Colwin, ‘Home Cooking’

My latest article in OKRA Magazine, celebrating one of the most delicious and popular Southern staples, can be found here

I wrote "Cut and Paste: A Tomato A Day Keeps the Doctor Away" for obvious reasons, such as elaborating upon the benefits of the Creole tomato and its brethren upon health. Being that I just returned from New Orleans a few hours ago, my reasons are also personal, and I am pleased to report that tomato season in NOLA is in full swing. The sampling of so many options on the local menus left my head spinning as much as my stomach full.  

 

It can be challenging to be a Registered Dietitian (tourist or resident) in a city like New Orleans, known for its decadent food and other excesses of lifestyle. However, it is rarely dull and I have no issue in appeasing such culinary temptations within moderation. 

It's summer in the Big Easy, and the heat and humidity were felt in full force during my visit this past week. Given the recent weather advisory about hurricanes, I'll happily accept the former. All the more reason to take a break at Cafe Beignet, Royal Blend, and Cafe du Monde for an iced cafe au lait. The hefty portions of beignets are easier to manage when you bring a friend to split them (or perhaps the resident cats outside certain French Quarter establishments will assist).


Laissez les bons temps rouler!


For a full archive of my nutrition articles for OKRA Magazine, click here.




No comments:

Post a Comment